*This is a Masterclass for people in the bakery industry. We would require information such as your Full Name and Company during registration.
- Delve deeper into the Art and Science of sourdough making
- Learn advanced techniques such as autolyse, folding and shaping
- Discuss how to troubleshoot issues faced while making sourdough breads.
- Learn to make Galway Bay Sourdough, Toasted Seed Sourdough with Wholemeal, Seaweed Seahorse Baguettes, Guinness, Potato and dill Shamrock Bread, Conger Bread, Chocolate, Hazelnut and Orange Sourdough Loaves, Celtic Whisky Brack, Stencilled Miche
- Galway Bay Sourdough
- Toasted Seed Sourdough with Wholemeal
- Seaweed Seahorse Baguettes
- Guinness, Potato and dill Shamrock Bread
- Conger Bread
- Chocolate, Hazelnut and Orange Sourdough Loaves
- Celtic Whisky Brack
- Stencilled Miche
- 9-10 April 2023, 9am to 5pm
About Chef Jimmy:
Born 30th December 1964 Jimmy was born into a family steeped in baking tradition since 1876, he became the sixth generation of his family to carry on the family baking tradition. The bakery celebrated 143 years in business 2019. In 1982, Jimmy went to Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) to study a Diploma in Bakery Production and Management, where he graduated with honours. He also took the City & Guilds Full Technological Certificate Bakery exams with distinction following work experience abroad in Astoria Queens NY USA; he returned to the family firm. His baker, mentor and father Anthony passed away ten years ago aged 85 years.
While in DIT a keen competitive baker, Jimmy won many competitions for baking and cake decoration. He was appointed external examiner to the DIT final year bakery students for many years. Jimmy was invited to represent Ireland and compete in the Coupe d’Europe de la Boulangerie. He proved himself to be the ideal candidate for the job in hand, his bakery skills combined with his linguistic skills (he speaks four languages including Spanish French and Irish) in communicating with all teams and organizers. He represented Ireland in 1995, 1997, 1999 and 2000, taking home European bronze medal in 1999 baking the viennoiserie section along with fellow team members Gemma Flynn (artistic) and Paul Galloway (breads). He also attended the Richemont Bakery School in Lucerne in this year where he completed a course in artistic bread design.
In 2001 in conjunction the National Bakery School, Jimmy became coach/manager of the new Irish Bakery Team consisting of Robert Humphries (Bread) Dolores Spain (Viennoiserie) and Michelle O Connor (Artistic). The team was invited to and competed in the Coupe Du Monde de la Boulangerie in Paris. The team went on to three successive podium finishes in the European Bakery Cup in as many years.
- Bronze 2003 Nantes France
- Silver 2004 Herning Denmark
- Bronze 2005 Nantes France
In 2006, two team members, Michelle O Connor and Robert Humphries went on to crown Ireland’s finest achievement in Baking by winning Gold at the inaugural World Bakery Championships at IBA in Munich, Germany.
Jimmy worked in his family bakery 38 years and also as a part-time lecturer at DIT in Dublin. He has also been an international jury member and demonstrator since 2000. He has taught bread and pastry classes in Russia, France, Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Hungary, Poland and the USA, the German Master Baker School Weinheim, Japan Home Baking School, Osaka, Japan, Taipei, U.K. and Brazil.
In 2015, following several years training Russian bakers and instructors in Moscow and Stavropol, Jimmy was conferred as Honorary Professor of Baking and Pastry Arts at thew Agrarian University of Stavropol, Russia . He was appointed as President of the Jury for the Bakery World Cup – Coupe du Monde de la Boulangerie, 2016 in Paris and was also conferred as a member of the Elite de la Boulangerie International – EBI at the event.
He completed his BSc (Honours) Bachelor of Science Degree in Baking and Pastry Arts Management 2015 and his MSc Master of Science Degree in Food Product Development and Culinary Innovation at DIT with first class honours. In 2019, he won World Silver medal in Coupe du Monde Chocolatine, Toulouse, France. Jimmy was also Jury at the Coupe du Monde Panettone 2021 in Lugano, Switzerland. He now teaches at Technological University Dublin, (TU Dublin) as a lecturer in the School of Culinary Arts and Food Technology and is the author of 5 books in less than 15 months, The Art of Lamination, El Arte del Laminado (Spanish edition), Global Master Bakers Cookbook, Family Secrets – The Recipes and Panettone – The King of Bread. Jimmy teaches internationally during his holidays from university and during 2022/2023 will have travelled to Germany, UK, Italy, United States, Japan and Singapore to teach students. Summer 2023, Jimmy will teach in Japan across 5 cities for over a month, with 3400 students already enrolled.
- Fees include all training materials and ingredients
- This class is non-refundable.
- Participants will take home products made during the course
- Takeaway boxes will be provided according to the products made. Additional boxes requested are chargeable
- All ingredients are pre-weighted. Additional weighing of ingredients may be required during class.
- Please refer to Terms & Conditions / FAQ Page for more information
There are no reviews yet.